|Welcome to the embassy of the Nauruan-speaking Wiktionary! If you have any announcements or questions regarding international issues or the English Wiktionary, you are invited to post them here. The Wikipedia Embassy has been set up on meta as a central place for resources to help with cross-language issues -- site-wide policy and software decisions that affect all of us, and interlanguage linking. Please see that page for details of setting up an embassy in your own language, or to list yourself as an ambassador. You can see also the archives of this page. Thank you. |
Moving Wikimania 2021 to a Virtual EventEdit
Hello. Apologies if you are not reading this message in your native language. Please help translate to your language. Thank you!
Wikimania will be a virtual event this year, and hosted by a wide group of community members. Whenever the next in-person large gathering is possible again, the ESEAP Core Organizing Team will be in charge of it. Stay tuned for more information about how you can get involved in the planning process and other aspects of the event. Please read the longer version of this announcement on wikimedia-l.
ESEAP Core Organizing Team, Wikimania Steering Committee, Wikimedia Foundation Events Team, 15:16, 27 January 2021 (UTC)
Project Grant Open CallEdit
This is the announcement for the Project Grants program open call that started on January 11, with the submission deadline of February 10, 2021.
This first open call will be focussed on Community Organizing proposals. A second open call focused on research and software proposals is scheduled from February 15 with a submission deadline of March 16, 2021.
For the Round 1 open call, we invite you to propose grant applications that fall under community development and organizing (offline and online) categories. Project Grant funds are available to support individuals, groups, and organizations to implement new experiments and proven ideas, from organizing a better process on your wiki, coordinating a campaign or editathon series to providing other support for community building. We offer the following resources to help you plan your project and complete a grant proposal:
- Weekly proposals clinics via Zoom during the Open Call. Join us for #Upcoming_Proposal_Clinics|real-time discussions with Program Officers and select thematic experts and get live feedback about your Project Grants proposal. We’ll answer questions and help you make your proposal better. We also offer these support pages to help you build your proposal:
- Video tutorials for writing a strong application
- General planning page for Project Grants
- Program guidelines and criteria
Program officers are also available to offer individualized proposal support upon request. Contact us if you would like feedback or more information.
We are excited to see your grant ideas that will support our community and make an impact on the future of Wikimedia projects. Put your idea into motion, and submit your proposal by February 10, 2021!
Please feel free to get in touch with questions about getting started with your grant application, or about serving on the Project Grants Committee. Contact us at projectgrantsTemplate:atwikimedia.org. Please help us translate this message to your local language. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:01, 28 January 2021 (UTC)
Wikifunctions logo contestEdit
01:52, 2 March 2021 (UTC)
Universal Code of Conduct – 2021 consultationsEdit
Universal Code of Conduct Phase 2Edit
Please help translate to your language
The Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) provides a universal baseline of acceptable behavior for the entire Wikimedia movement and all its projects. The project is currently in Phase 2, outlining clear enforcement pathways. You can read more about the whole project on its project page.
Drafting Committee: Call for applicationsEdit
The Wikimedia Foundation is recruiting volunteers to join a committee to draft how to make the code enforceable. Volunteers on the committee will commit between 2 and 6 hours per week from late April through July and again in October and November. It is important that the committee be diverse and inclusive, and have a range of experiences, including both experienced users and newcomers, and those who have received or responded to, as well as those who have been falsely accused of harassment.
To apply and learn more about the process, see Universal Code of Conduct/Drafting committee.
2021 community consultations: Notice and call for volunteers / translatorsEdit
From 5 April – 5 May 2021 there will be conversations on many Wikimedia projects about how to enforce the UCoC. We are looking for volunteers to translate key material, as well as to help host consultations on their own languages or projects using suggested key questions. If you are interested in volunteering for either of these roles, please contact us in whatever language you are most comfortable.
To learn more about this work and other conversations taking place, see Universal Code of Conduct/2021 consultations.
Line numbering coming soon to all wikisEdit
-- Johanna Strodt (WMDE) 15:09, 12 April 2021 (UTC)
Timur Vorkul (WMDE) 14:08, 22 April 2021 (UTC)
Ekamowir Omo! Since there's no active admin here (or editor for that matter), I am going to apply for admin rights soon. I do not want to have to leave it to the global sysops to do the admin janitorial work, and I think it's better if we have someone who's passionate about this project. Additionally, I do have a decent knowledge of Dorein Naoero, and I'm also a sysop at na.wikipedia Tubwa Kor! SHB2000 (talk) 07:41, 1 June 2021 (UTC)
Universal Code of Conduct News – Issue 1Edit
Universal Code of Conduct News
Issue 1, June 2021Read the full newsletter
Welcome to the first issue of Universal Code of Conduct News! This newsletter will help Wikimedians stay involved with the development of the new code, and will distribute relevant news, research, and upcoming events related to the UCoC.
Please note, this is the first issue of UCoC Newsletter which is delivered to all subscribers and projects as an announcement of the initiative. If you want the future issues delivered to your talk page, village pumps, or any specific pages you find appropriate, you need to subscribe here.
You can help us by translating the newsletter issues in your languages to spread the news and create awareness of the new conduct to keep our beloved community safe for all of us. Please add your name here if you want to be informed of the draft issue to translate beforehand. Your participation is valued and appreciated.
Wikimania 2021: Individual Program SubmissionsEdit
Wikimania 2021 will be hosted virtually for the first time in the event's 15-year history. Since there is no in-person host, the event is being organized by a diverse group of Wikimedia volunteers that form the Core Organizing Team (COT) for Wikimania 2021.
Event Program - Individuals or a group of individuals can submit their session proposals to be a part of the program. There will be translation support for sessions provided in a number of languages. See more information here.
Below are some links to guide you through;
Please note that the deadline for submission is 18th June 2021.
Announcements- To keep up to date with the developments around Wikimania, the COT sends out weekly updates. You can view them in the Announcement section here.
Office Hour - If you are left with questions, the COT will be hosting some office hours (in multiple languages), in multiple time-zones, to answer any programming questions that you might have. Details can be found here.
On behalf of Wikimania 2021 Core Organizing Team
Hello! The deployment of Finding and Inserting Templates and Removing a template from a page using VisualEditor on this wiki announced for June 23 is postponed to
July 7 July 12. This is because MediaWiki deployments do not happen in weekly intervals as usual because of summer activities. Sorry for the inconvenience. Best, --Timur Vorkul (WMDE) (talk) 14:02, 22 June 2021 (UTC)
- Timur Vorkul (WMDE) summer activities? SHB2000 (talk) 04:44, 25 June 2021 (UTC)
- SHB2000There is a week in June and another in July when no trains or deploys happen all week. See here. --Timur Vorkul (WMDE) (talk) 09:38, 25 June 2021 (UTC)
- Update: The changes have just been deployed to your wiki. Our team would love to hear your thoughts on these talk pages: finding and inserting templates & removing a template.
- Regarding the template search, I'd like to highlight a feature that already existed before, but might be more visible now with the more powerful search: Template descriptions are shown in the search results, if you add descriptions to your template in TemplateData (example). (By the way, we are also planning to make managing TemplateData easier within the next few months.) -- Best, Johanna Strodt (WMDE) (talk) 12:32, 12 July 2021 (UTC)
Feedback on improved template search neededEdit
Hello! The Technical Wishes team kindly asks for your feedback on a specific part of an improvement we’re working on. Please take a minute to let us know what you think:
We are currently implementing several improvements regarding templates. As part of this, the search in the “add a template” dialog has been changed to make finding relevant templates easier. Before, you had to know the exact title of the template you wanted to add – now you can search for keywords within the whole template name and template documentation pages. This change is already deployed on a few wikis, and our plan is to deploy it on all other wikis by the end of 2021.
The question: The improved template search currently also returns subpages of templates (that include the keyword) in the results, but we have received individual feedback that this is not wanted. Before we change this behavior, we want to ask a broader audience: Can and should subpages of templates be ignored in this search? Or are there cases in which a subpage of a template may host a template, and is therefore a relevant result?
In cases where a template’s subpages are relevant to the search, examples are very much appreciated. More info about the feature can be found on this page. You can leave comments and share your thoughts until September 8th here below or on this talk page. Thanks for your help! For the Technical Wishes team, --Timur Vorkul (WMDE) (talk) 14:08, 26 August 2021 (UTC)
Editing news 2021 #2Edit
14:15, 24 June 2021 (UTC)
- Hi Whatamidoing (WMF), is there anywhere where I can give feedback about the reply tool? It's a nice tool, except that I'm not a fan of the auto signature. Is there a way I can get rid of this? SHB2000 (talk) 04:45, 25 June 2021 (UTC)
- SHB2000, the auto signature cannot be turned off. Feedback can be posted to mw:Talk:Talk pages project/Replying (or you can ping me to any discussion). I'm curious about your use case for not signing a reply to a comment. When would you want to reply to a comment but not have your signature there? Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 17:09, 25 June 2021 (UTC)
SGrabarczuk (WMF) 01:19, 27 June 2021 (UTC)
Universal Code of Conduct - Enforcement draft guidelines reviewEdit
The Universal Code of Conduct Phase 2 drafting committee would like comments about the enforcement draft guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC). This review period is planned for 17 August 2021 through 17 October 2021.
These guidelines are not final but you can help move the progress forward. The committee will revise the guidelines based upon community input.
There are planned live discussions about the UCoC enforcement draft guidelines:
- Wikimania 2021 session (recorded 16 August)
- Conversation hours - 24 August, 31 August, 7 September @ 03:00 UTC & 14:00 UTC
- Roundtable calls - 18 September @ 03:00 UTC & 15:00 UTC
Summaries of discussions will be posted every two weeks here.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Xeno (WMF) 22:59, 17 August 2021 (UTC)
Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election has come to an endEdit
Thank you for participating in the 2021 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election! Voting closed August 31 at 23:59. The official data, including the four most voted candidates, will be announced as soon as the Elections Committee completes their review of the ballots. The official announcement of the new trustees appointed will happen later, once the selected candidates have been confirmed by the Board.
6,946 community members from 216 wiki projects have voted. This makes 10.2% global participation, 1.1% higher than in the last Board elections. In 2017, 5167 people from 202 wiki projects cast their vote. A full analysis is planned to be published in a few days when the confirmed results are announced. In the meantime, you can check the data produced during the election.
Diversity was an important goal with these elections. Messages about the Board election were translated into 61 languages. This outreach worked well. There were 70 communities with eligible voters voting in this election for the first time. With your help, next year’s Board of Trustees election will be even better.
20:58, 1 September 2021 (UTC)
The 2022 Community Wishlist Survey will happen in JanuaryEdit
Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee ending 14 September 2021Edit
Movement Strategy announces the Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee. The Call opens August 2, 2021 and closes September 14, 2021.
The Committee is expected to represent diversity in the Movement. Diversity includes gender, language, geography, and experience. This comprises participation in projects, affiliates, and the Wikimedia Foundation.
English fluency is not required to become a member. If needed, translation and interpretation support is provided. Members will receive an allowance to offset participation costs. It is US$100 every two months.
We are looking for people who have some of the following skills:
- Know how to write collaboratively. (demonstrated experience is a plus)
- Are ready to find compromises.
- Focus on inclusion and diversity.
- Have knowledge of community consultations.
- Have intercultural communication experience.
- Have governance or organization experience in non-profits or communities.
- Have experience negotiating with different parties.
The Committee is expected to start with 15 people. If there are 20 or more candidates, a mixed election and selection process will happen. If there are 19 or fewer candidates, then the process of selection without election takes place.
Will you help move Wikimedia forward in this important role? Submit your candidacy here. Please contact strategy2030 wikimedia.org with questions.
Xeno (WMF) 17:10, 10 September 2021 (UTC)
Talk to the Community TechEdit
As we have recently announced, we, the team working on the Community Wishlist Survey, would like to invite you to an online meeting with us. It will take place on September 15th, 23:00 UTC on Zoom, and will last an hour. Click here to join.
- How we prioritize the wishes to be granted
- Why we decided to change the date from November 2021 to January 2022
- Update on the disambiguation and the real-time preview wishes
- Questions and answers
The meeting will not be recorded or streamed. Notes without attribution will be taken and published on Meta-Wiki. The presentation (first three points in the agenda) will be given in English.
We can answer questions asked in English, French, Polish, and Spanish. If you would like to ask questions in advance, add them on the Community Wishlist Survey talk page or send to email@example.com.
- Join online
- Meeting ID: 898 2861 5390
- One tap mobile
- +16465588656,,89828615390# US (New York)
- +16699006833,,89828615390# US (San Jose)
- Dial by your location
Coming soon: Template dialog improvements for VisualEditor and new wiktext modeEdit
/ Apologies for writing in English. It would be great if you could help translate this message. /
Your wiki will soon receive an overall improved interface for editing templates in VisualEditor and in the new wikitext mode (beta feature). This includes several improvements:
- general redesign (more spacing, bigger window for better usability),
- a better overview of parameters that are available for a template,
- an easier way to add parameters via checkboxes and search filters,
- better visibility of important information,
- added links to documentation and help pages.
More in-depth information can be found on the project page on Meta. The planned deployment date for these changes is October 6.
- Some interface texts in the dialog have changed and might need to be translated into your language on translatewiki. It can take around two weeks for translations to appear in the interface.
- The official VisualEditor help page on mediawiki.org will only be changed later this year, when all wikis have received the feature. If you have a local help page about the feature, you can update it based on information on this page, which we will fill with content in late September.
- Hello again! Unfortunately, this deployment will be postponed a bit:
- Our team is currently still working on a few optimizations for mobile and for screen readers, so we’re planning to deploy the feature to your wiki in late October/beginning of November.
- That also means that the texts on this subpage are not finished yet. We’ll give you an update here on your village pump once the texts are done. Then you can update your help page accordingly.
- If you haven’t already translated the VE template dialog texts, now is a good time to do this.
- For those who are curious what to expect, here are two videos: One shows the current interface on English Wikipedia, the other one shows the improved interface which you’ll get soon (currently on betawiki):
Current view on English Wikipedia
Coming soon: Improved version
Voting for the election for the members for the Movement Charter drafting committee is now openEdit
Voting for the election for the members for the Movement Charter drafting committee is now open. In total, 70 Wikimedians from around the world are running for 7 seats in these elections.
Voting is open from October 12 to October 24, 2021.
The committee will consist of 15 members in total: The online communities vote for 7 members, 6 members will be selected by the Wikimedia affiliates through a parallel process, and 2 members will be appointed by the Wikimedia Foundation. The plan is to assemble the committee by November 1, 2021.
Learn about each candidate to inform your vote in the language that you prefer: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee/Candidates>
Learn about the Drafting Committee: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee>
We are piloting a voting advice application for this election. Click yourself through the tool and you will see which candidate is closest to you! Check at <https://mcdc-election-compass.toolforge.org/>
Read the full announcement: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee/Elections>
Go vote at SecurePoll on: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee/Elections>
Movement Strategy & Governance Team, Wikimedia Foundation
Xeno (WMF) 01:53, 15 October 2021 (UTC)